Monday, April 12, 2010

Chapter Four: Life between the adventures

Ciao!
I suppose it was inevitable for me to fall behind in the blog. But here is an update from life in Italy thus far. Though I might not be blogging a ton, I am writing in my journal and at the end of the day, I know that is the most important one for me. My journal holds everything from this trip, from all the big events to all of my random thoughts. I've already started rereading some of the entries at the beginning of the semester. So much has already happened, it's hard to believe. But of course I still have to give everyone an update, hence the blog.

The semester is coming to a close. So weird to say. The majority of all of my friends will be returning to the U.S. in just under three weeks. If I wasn't staying I would be going with them. That is even stranger for me to think about. The United States still feels like a different universe for me.

The last few weeks have been full and exciting. I've been to Istanbul, Greece, and Malta, not to mention many wonderful days in Rome. I've been a machine these days when it comes to traveling. Taking international trips has become so normal to me (I know, that's crazy!) but seriously traveling has become my life. I think my perspective of traveling in the United States will be very different once I get back. The idea of picking up for a weekend trip will be no big deal.

So, at this point, it will be easier for me to share about these last few trips in person with all of you. However, I will say a few comments about each of them.

Istanbul: This could very well could be my favorite trip. I think it was the one that impacted me the most. The culture, the people, the food, the city was all so amazing. If I could back to one city that I've been to this semester it would be Istanbul. My favorite thing there was when we were walking around the city and heard the call of prayer on the loud speakers between the mosques. It took place five times a day. It was as if the mosques themselves were chanting to each other. Such a cool experience to see and hear.

Greece: I got my beach fill in Greece. The weather ended up being really hot and it was so nice to lay on the beach and relax. Eating gyros and greek yogurt as well as kayaking in the Mediterranean was unbelievable. The trip had it's good and bad aspects, but overall I really enjoyed myself as did Sara, Marriam and Adri. I'm thrilled I made it to Greece, it was one of the countries at the top of my list.

Malta: I just got back from Malta yesterday. The smallest country in Europe, besides Vatican city. Malta was also a lot of fun. My favorite part was traveling to Gozo, an island right next to Malta and traveling around and taking a boat out through caves in the water and seeing the cliffs. I also went with a whole different group of people to Malta, which was exciting.

My parents will be here in 19 days. I cannot wait for them to get here! It will be so nice to see them in person, catch up, and have some familiarity for awhile. We will be going on quite the Italian adventure. They have it all mapped out. So lately whenever I'm feeling stressed about school I just think about all the stuff we are going to do.

There is still so much I want to do in Rome. I'm determined to get through my to-do-list. I did go to the Vatican Museum a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. Especially after studying so many different artists and paintings in my classes, it made it much more special to see them in person, in particular Raphael's "School of Athens."

I'm the type of person that always gets sentimental. Those of you who know me are already very aware of this. I get attached to the most random things and now that the semester is coming to an end, I feel my sentimental side kicking in. The hardest part will be saying goodbye to everyone, especially my friends who don't go to Loyola and who I won't see in the fall.

But, it's not over yet! These next three weeks will be very busy socially and academically. I'm not going anywhere else for now, just focusing on spending time in Rome. Absorb the city to the fullest. :)

Love
Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment