Friday, April 30, 2010

Part II: A new view from Venice

Well, I'm in a weird place. I don't mean physically, but emotionally. I've been using the past tense about my semester abroad, I never fully realized that would happen. I was so used to talking about it in the future or in the present, but not in the past.

My last night in Rome to say the least was incredibly memorable. Out with the majority of my friends one last night. I miss all of you so much already! Saying goodbye was one of the worst things in the world and now they are in the States. But we went all around the city and saw all of our favorite things. Rome really has become my home and I already miss it so much as well.

Venice is beautiful. Finding my hostel was a mess though. I had the directions, but one street didn't lead to the right street, which lead me asking directions, but those weren't right either. I was so exhausted because of hardly any sleep and lots of crying, so I ended up just taking a water taxi. It was much easier after that.

My hostel is really nice. I'm on the main island and pretty close to everything. However, I could never live or have studied in Venice, it's a mess trying to find your way around. The people in my hostel are really nice though. I went exploring with one girl yesterday from Germany, we had a good time. She spoke perfect English, I was so impressed.

Everyone eats breakfast and dinner together, which is really nice. There has been lots of good conversation and hearing about where everyone is from, where they are going, and how long they have been traveling is so interesting. One guy, who sat across from me at dinner, has been traveling so far for 10 months. He started in London and has been working his way around Europe. He's going to go to Istanbul, then up to Russia, Moscow, then into China, then he is going to Australia and then before heading back up north to Canada, he is going through South America. So he still has another year ahead of him. He's going to be traveling two whole years out of his backpack!! I was so amazed. I can't believe it. He put my 5 months of travel to shame! 

Yesterday, I thought of Adri when I was walking around, because the pigeons here are crazy! I've never been scared of birds before, but these were intense and flying right next to me. Even landing on people. After spending a semester with Adri around a lot of birds I've somehow developed a fear of them too. Not as bad as Adri's though. haha.

My parents get here tomorrow. To say the least I am incredibly excited and anxious to see them. It will be so wonderful to be reunited again and spend lots of good quality time together.

I have my computer with me for now, which is nice. So I will update when I can. Five weeks until I'm home. I feel as those these five weeks, will be the most interesting ever. Full of uncertainty, excitement, anxiousness, loneliness, and happiness. Hopefully more happiness than anything else.

Love,
Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment